Results-Oriented Representation Since 2007
Criminal Defense
Criminal Defense
Traffic tickets
Traffic Violations
Personal injury

Personal Injury

Can I continue driving after a DUI charge?

On Behalf of | May 7, 2018 | Drunk Driving |

Driving is a part of your everyday life. You drive to campus, work and to the grocery store. The other night, you decided to drive to meet friends. The night was fun and relaxing. It was nice to be able to kick back and let loose after a week of exams, papers and needy customers. Everything was fine until you decided to call it a night and make your way back home. While you were driving, the red and blue lights of a cop car flashed behind you and you were pulled over. The officer arrested you on DUI charges.

Now you are worried about how you will make it to work. You need to drive to get things done. Without the ability to drive, you might not make ends meet. You have bills to pay and a crazy schedule. You are overwhelmed and want to know if you there is anything you can do.

How to fight for your ability to drive

Luckily, you do have options. You should have been issued a DS-1205 form after you were arrested. This form states the reason for your license suspension. It also acts as a temporary driving permit that allows you to continue driving for 45 days. You still need to act if you want to continue to keep your driving privileges after the 45-day mark.

You have three main courses of action:

  1. You can request a hearing. You must act quickly, as you have 30 days total to do so. This is a written request and typically comes with a $150.00 fee. You and your attorney can plea your case to have your license reinstated.
  2. You can install an ignition interlock device. You can apply to have an interlock device installed in your vehicle. By doing so, you have the ability to drive for specific reasons, including:
  • Going to and from work
  • To get to and from class
  • If you are in need of medical care
  • In order to attend court or court ordered activities

If you care for a family member, the permit allows you to transport them for the same activities mentioned above.

  1. Fight the stop and charges completely. You will want to speak with a knowledgeable lawyer regarding your specific situation. They can advise you on your best course of action, which may include fighting the reasoning behind the traffic stop or breathalyzer results. Your attorney will likely have you take one of the above actions while fighting the charges against you, so time is still essential.

Your particular situation and history can impact your options. Regardless, you should know that you can take action and need to do so in a timely manner.